General Terms and Conditions of Fox Bonaire Car Rental
- These general terms and conditions form part of the car rental agreement between the
rental company Fox Bonaire Car Rental and the renter of the vehicle.
- This agreement can only be amended in writing to be signed by both the renter and
Fox Bonaire Car Rental.
- The 'Check Out Report' of this agreement, specifying details with respect to (the
condition of) the vehicle, the rental period, the rent, insurance options etc. forms part
of the rental agreement.
- In this agreement the word 'vehicle' means a car, truck, pick-up or any other
vehicle as specified in the rental agreement. Furthermore, where applicable, it also
implies wheels, tools, equipment, accessories and vehicle documentation.
- Fuel is not included in the rent. Returned vehicles must contain the same amount of fuel
as when they were handed over to the renter. If this is not the case, there will be a
refill charge for each shortage of 1/8 fuel tank. The renter is not entitled to any
refund for over-tanking.
- Before tanking the renter must ascertain which kind of fuel the vehicle requires.
Fox Bonaire Car Rental can never be held liable by the renter for any damage caused by
usage of the wrong kind of fuel for the rented vehicle.
- The renter will be held fully liable for any and all damage caused to the vehicle engine,
in case he/she has used the wrong kind of fuel.
- The renter is not bound to any minimum or maximum mileage (free mileage).
- Vehicles are only rented out to persons who have been in the possession of a valid
driver's license for at least 2 years.
- The rental agreement is concluded for the time period and at the rate as mentioned
therein or as has been otherwise agreed upon in writing. In the event that, for any
reason, the rental vehicle is returned prior to the due date, no refund is given.
Unless the rental company has given permission to return the vehicle at a later time,
the renter remains liable for any and all damage caused to or with the vehicle until
the moment the vehicle has in fact been returned to the rental company and the rental
company has inspected it or has engaged a third party to inspect it.
- Upon conclusion of the rental agreement the renter must inspect the vehicle and report
any damage and/or defects immediately to Fox Bonaire Car Rental, of which a written
report will be drawn up. Any damage or defects reported at any moment thereafter is not
admissible and the renter will be held responsible therefor.
- If the renter wishes to extend the rental period, Fox Bonaire Car Rental must be
informed thereof in advance, i.e. before expiry of the agreed rental period. The rental
period thus extended will remain subject to these general terms and conditions. All
vehicle insurances taken out for the initial rental period shall be automatically
renewed for the period of extension.
- If without prior notice to Fox Bonaire Car Rental the vehicle is not returned to the
rental company within the agreed rental period, Fox Bonaire Car Rental has the right to
repossess the vehicle forthwith. In such an event the renter shall owe the rent as
specified in section 5 up until the moment the vehicle has in fact been repossessed by
Fox Bonaire Car Rental. Furthermore, all vehicle insurances taken out for the initially
agreed rental period shall be automatically renewed up until the moment the vehicle has
in fact been repossessed by the rental company.
- If the vehicle is returned later than stated in the rental agreement, the renter will be
charged a fee of US$ 6.00 per hour + insurance for the additional day(s) if the renter
has purchased insurance for the previous rental days. After 4 hours the full daily
rental price is charged.
- The vehicle must be returned in good condition at the location designated and at the time
specified in the 'Check Out Report'.
- When the vehicle is returned, it will be inspected by Fox Bonaire Car Rental report
will be drawn up of any damage/defects found, which will be charged to the renter.
- The renter is not allowed to remove the vehicle in any way whatsoever from the island of
Bonaire. In case of removal from the island by ferry, cargo-ship or whatever other means
of transport, a report of theft will be filed with the police, as the rental agreement
and all rights consequent thereon shall be null and void as of the moment of removal. A
fine equal to the current market value or book value of the vehicle (at the discretion of
the rental company), increased by collection and interest charges of at least 15% of the
selected value, shall be imposed. In addition, the renter shall be liable for any and all
legal and extrajudicial expenses incurred.
- The insurance conditions are available for inspection and form part of this rental
agreement. Upon request a copy will be given to the renter.
- The renter is fully liable for any and all losses not covered by the insurance.
- Only if an official police report of the accident is submitted to Fox Bonaire Car Rental
proving that the damage was not due to the renter's intent, fault or negligence and that
the damages can be recovered from the other (known) party to the accident, will the own
risk deductible charged for damage to the rented vehicle not be applicable. Until such
moment that all damages have in actual fact been recovered from the known other party
to the accident, the renter will be held liable and responsible for all damage. There
will be no refund to the renter until all damages have been fully recovered from the
- Fox Bonaire Car Rental has the right to change the insurance conditions. If this is
done, Fox Bonaire Car Rental will make sure that any such changes are indicated clearly
and are available for inspection at the check-in counters.
- CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) mandatory
- The own risk deductible amounts to US$ 550.00 excl. 8% sales tax for any and all damage
to the rented vehicle resulting from a collision/accident caused by the renter or an
unknown third party. The renter is fully liable for any and all damage to the rented
vehicle amounting to less than aforementioned amount.
- Damage due to burglary and theft is not covered by the insurance.
- The own risk deductible amounts to US$ 550.00 excl. 8% sales tax for any and all damage
inflicted upon any third parties resulting from a collision due to the renter's fault.
- When the rental car is picked up, the renter will be charged for the expected rental
costs and the applicable own risk deductible shall be reserved by means of an
authorisation on the credit card issued by the renter.
- The following credit cards are accepted Mastercard, Visa and Discover.
- The renter is obligated and undertakes to pay any and all amounts due before leaving
Bonaire. If necessary, all legal and/or extra judicial collection and interest charges
amounting to at least 15% plus legal fees will be charged to the renter.
- Only the renter of the vehicle, as specified in the rental agreement, and persons
specifically mentioned in the rental agreement as 'additional drivers' are authorized to
drive the vehicle. There is a surcharge of US$ 10.00 for each additional driver
mentioned in the rental agreement. This amount will change in US$. 5.00 daily per
additional driver as from December 22. 2012. Any damage caused by an additional driver
will be recovered from the main driver, i.e. the renter.
- If the renter has allowed another person not mentioned in the rental agreement to drive
or move the vehicle, or if the renter has been negligent in preventing third parties from
driving or moving the vehicle, the renter shall be fully liable for any and all damage
caused to the rented vehicle, the passengers or any other third parties. In such a case
the renter shall not be entitled to any insurance coverage.
- The renter must make sure that, apart from the drivers mentioned in the rental agreement,
no one else will be given the keys to the vehicle.
- Each and every occurrence (harmful event), irrespective of whether third parties or
possessions of third parties are involved, must be reported immediately to the police
(tel.: 717-8000) and to Fox Bonaire Car Rental (tel. main office: 717-8980). Failure to
do so will result in cancellation of the insurance coverage making the renter
responsible for any and all damage caused.
- The renter is not allowed to drive on unpaved roads, nor in the National Park, unless
he has rented a pick-up truck, a two-wheel or a four-wheel drive car. Damage to
cars due to driving on unpaved roads is not covered by the insurance. If cars
are found to have been used in the National Park, Fox Bonaire Car Rental shall
have the right to charge the renter a fine of US$ 150.00 The renter himself shall be
responsible for salvaging the car, if this should be necessary, and any and all expenses
involved therewith shall be for his account. Fox Bonaire Car Rental is not in any way
obligated to provide assistance in such cases.
- The renter shall be fully liable for any and all damage caused by or to the vehicle
whilst driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication.
- If any misrepresentation has been made with respect to the validity of the
driving-license or if the driver has been disqualified from driving, damage caused to or
by the vehicle will not be covered by the insurance.
- The renter is fully liable for any and all costs resulting from traffic or parking
violations or from any other offences committed during the rental period.
- Whenever the renter leaves the vehicle behind, the key and all valuables must be removed
and we do advice: don't lock the car.
- If the vehicle has to be towed away, all costs involved shall be for the account of the
renter, unless a mechanical defect caused its malfunctioning.
- It is not allowed to use the vehicle to transport passengers or goods for hire or reward,
nor to tow or push other vehicles. Violation of this provision will make the renter fully
liable for any and all losses of or damage to passengers, goods or the vehicle.
- The vehicle should not be overloaded and should be handled carefully. It is not permitted
to transport more passengers than can be seated in the vehicle, including the driver.
- Flat tires should be changed instantly. Failure to do so will make the renter fully
liable for any and all damage caused. US$ 14.04 will be charged for
repairing a flat tire. If the tire cannot be repaired the cost of a new tire will be
- US$ 25.00 is charged for changing a tire, unless Fox Bonaire Car Rental had
failed to provide a spare tire and tools for changing tires. In the renter has purchased
the Fox Bonaire Car Rental Full Coverage Plan, flat tires are not charged.
- The renter is not allowed to participate in any road-test, race or contest with the
vehicle. Violation of this provision will make the renter fully liable for any and all
- In all above-mentioned instances where the renter is held fully liable, the insurance
coverage is excluded.
- Lost key electronic key $200.00
- Lost of key US $100.00
Article 8. Night depository
- After office-hours the renter may turn in the vehicle at the Fox Bonaire Car Rental night
depository at the Rental Center, located just across the airport. This is only possible
if the renter has notified Fox Bonaire Car Rental in advance that he wishes to do so.
However, the renter remains fully liable for any and all damage to the vehicle found upon
inspection by Fox Bonaire Car Rental, which will take place immediately upon opening the
office the following morning. This inspection will be carried out on the basis of the
damage report drawn up by the rental company upon conclusion of the rental agreement.
- Use of the night depository is only possible, if the renter has paid the deposit by means
of credit card authorisation upon conclusion of the rental agreement, so that Fox
Bonaire Car Rental can use the credit card to obtain payment.
- Fox Bonaire Car Rental shall not be liable for any misuse or loss of personal belongings,
goods or luggage belonging to the renter, the authorized (additional) driver(s) or any
other users or passengers of the vehicle. The insurance does not cover any such losses
- Fox Bonaire Car Rental shall not be liable for any damage or personal injury resulting
from a collision or any other accident and inflicted upon any passengers (including the
renter and/or any additional drivers) transported in the rented vehicle. Only possible
if a liability form has been signed in advance.
- Payments & Cancellations:
After confirming your reservation, FOX Bonaire will charge the full amount.
Before 2 weeks of the rental date you can cancel the reservation and will be entitled to
50% refund of the pre-paid charges. In the event that you do not pick up your rental car,
or cancel your reservation less than 2 week before arrival, this deposit is not refundable.
- Fox Bonaire Car Rental is authorized to repossess the vehicle before expiry of the rental
agreement, without any prior warning or judicial intervention and without prejudice to
its right to full compensation for any and all costs and losses, if it appears that
the renter has made any misrepresentation with respect to the purpose of renting or
obtaining the vehicle, which is of such a nature that if Fox Bonaire Car Rental would
have known this purpose in advance, it would not have concluded the rental agreement, or
if it appears that the vehicle has been used to violate the law or has clearly been
abandoned, or if the renter is in breach of any article of this rental agreement.
- If any provision of this rental agreement should be null and void or invalid, this does
not affect the applicability and validity of the remainder of the agreement.
- In case of any difference in interpretation of the Dutch and the English text of this
agreement, the Dutch text shall prevail.
- Netherlands Antillean BES law shall be applicable to this rental agreement.